How to manage dental anxiety in children
- Posted on: Dec 15 2019
At Gentle Family Dentistry and Implant Center, children who have dental fears may be uneasy about their upcoming appointment with Drs. Riyaz K. Gangji, Efraim Ramirez Lugo, and Sandip Ladani. However, our team is well-versed in handling dental anxiety in both children and adults, and provides patients with some solutions to make the visit to the practice less stressful for children of all ages.
Children often have a fear of the dentist for one of many reasons. They may have heard of bad experiences at a dental practice. They may think that the instruments used by the dentist are painful or scary. They may also have a fear of the unknown, or feel uncomfortable about another person being in their personal space. Whatever the reason, we can educate patients on ways to make their children less anxious when visiting the dental chair.
How can parents help with dental anxiety in children?
There are a few ways to keep your child informed and relaxed during their appointment.
- Allow your child to ask questions
- Encourage the dental team to walk children through what they are doing
- Let the child know the visit is coming up and what to expect
- Bring your child to one of your appointments to watch
- Introduce them to the team so they feel comfortable
- Explain the importance of dental checkups and cleanings for a healthier smile
How can the dentist help with dental anxiety in children?
- Have the parent bring a calming item with the child for comfort, such as a book, blanket, or toy
- Continue reinforcing good behaviors and praise throughout the appointment
- Provide sedation options if needed, such as nitrous oxide
Visit one of our two convenient locations today
Pediatric dental care is the best way to help your child get through their dental anxieties and achieve the foundation they need for a healthy smile for life. If you live in the areas of Bethlehem and Allentown, PA and are interested in learning more about how to ease your child’s next visit to Gentle Family Dentistry and Implant Center, call (610) 861-0190 to make an appointment. Drs. Riyaz K. Gangji, Efraim Ramirez Lugo, and Sandip Ladani can help make each appointment at the dental office a positive experience for both children and adults with dental fears and anxieties.
Posted in: Uncategorized