Our Family Dentist Offers Tips for Healthier Teeth and Gums
- Posted on: Dec 15 2022
Keeping the smile healthy is not a race but a marathon. It is important that parents of young children encourage their children to be proactive in taking care of their teeth and gums for better oral health and wellness. At Gentle Family Dentistry and Implant Center of Allentown and Bethlehem, PA, children, and adults can learn about following good oral health habits to keep a healthy smile for life!
Below are a few of the tips suggested by our family dental team for both children and adults:
- Eat a healthy diet. What you eat can have an effect on your smile. We encourage patients to avoid sugary, fatty foods that can contribute to the development of bacteria and plaque and recommend adding more fruits and vegetables into one’s diet to benefit their smile, not harm it.
- Stay hydrated. By drinking more water, you can help in washing away bacteria and food particles that can become stuck in the mouth on the teeth and gums. Water doesn’t have any added sugars that can contribute to tooth decay or periodontal disease.
- Brush often. While it would be a perfect world if everyone could brush their teeth after every meal, it is not always plausible. We encourage patients to brush their teeth at least twice a day–once in the morning and once in the evening–to maintain a healthy smile.
- Floss daily. Flossing at least once a day is strongly encouraged to remove stuck food particles that might not be easily removed with a toothbrush.
- Visit the dentist regularly. The American Dental Association recommends visiting the dentist for an examination and professional cleaning at least every six months or more often if managing certain conditions like periodontal disease.
- Call when problems occur. Don’t wait for a problem to get worse and more damaging to the smile. If you notice changes in your smile, call the dentist and make an appointment, even if it’s not time for your routine visit yet.
Request an appointment with our team today!
If you reside in the communities of Bethlehem and Allentown, PA, and want to speak to our professionals at Gentle Family Dentistry and Implant Center, call one of our office locations today to request a consultation visit. We treat everyone like family and ensure that we offer all the services required to achieve and maintain healthy smiles for patients of all ages!
Posted in: Dental Services